Locomotive Number 1855 was built in 1953 and was used in service for the government in the Army Transportation Corps. It is unusual because it's diesel engine is of opposed piston design. This type of engine was developed by the Fairbanks-Morse Company for use in diesel submarines. After World War II, Fairbanks-Morse was looking for applications for these large powerful engines and decided to incorporate them into railroad locomotives. About twenty five were manufactured for the Army Transportation Corps. The bottom picture shows the locomotive in our shop with all of the shell around the engine removed for a complete overhaul of the engine.